Friday, April 29, 2016

Bread Baking Day #82: Sweet rolls for coffee

Several weeks ago I tried out a new sweet dough, which was easy to make and versatile.  It was the perfect dough for the latest Bread Baking Day challenge.   This month's hostess is Simone from Aus der Lameng.  She invited everyone to make a sweet roll or bun that would go well with morning coffee.   



Basically, I combined the first batch of dry ingredients in a bowl, then stirred in the wet ingredients, which were at room temperature*.  I let the mixture rise for several hours, added the second round of dry ingredients, then placed the bowl in the refrigerator for an over night rest.  The next morning, I rolled out the dough, spread it with melted butter, sprinkled it with cinnamon sugar and mini cinnamon chips, formed it into a roll, then sliced it up for individual rolls. I let the rolls rise for about 40 minutes, then baked them in a 375 degree oven for between 18 and 20 minutes.  While they were barely warm, I frosted them with a maple-flavored icing.  (The brownish color comes from the flavoring.)   



My goodness, they were delicious!.  Because the dough is easy to make, having these rolls around could develop into a bad habit, especially with my morning coffee.   

Stop by Simone's website in a few days to see the variety of sweet rolls, and head over to Zorra's blog for all kinds of fun baking events.

The original recipe can be found here(A small-batch version can be found here.) 

*I didn't find it necessary to heat and cool all the liquid ingredients before combining them with the dry ingredients.  This is my standard procedure for yeast doughs.

For a savory version, have a look at my previous post.

 
 

2 comments:

Simone von Aus der Lameng said...

Dear Judy,

Thank you very much for these delicious cinnamon rolls for BBD 82!

Best,
Simone

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Judy, my face is soooo red! I really thought I'd left a comment here.
I've seen Focaccia with grapes but strawberries bringing in spring would surpass grapes any day with me. It's pretty fun the different toppings from the usual we came up with. Haven't seen local strawberries here yet but now that's on my list.