Monday, December 26, 2011

TWD: Kids' Thumbprints

It was inevitable.

After nearly four years, baking with the Tuesdays with Dorie group has come to an end. The last recipe, chosen by Ms Dorie, herself, is a delicious one -- Kid's Thumbprint cookies, a shortbread-type peanut butter cookie, filled with chocolate chips (in my case).

Peanut butter and jelly/jam is a great combination, but nothing beats peanut butter and chocolate.

Instead of rolling the cookie dough in chopped peanuts/nuts, I used some almond meal from Trader Joes. it really does behave like finely chopped nuts and is a wonderful time-saver.

These cookies are definitely addictive, too. Hard to eat just one.


When I started this blog four years ago, my younger daughter had gone off to college in New York and I needed something to fill that empty space. In the interim, she has come back for awhile, and then left again, to finish her college studies, also in New York, but at a different school. I joined TWD shortly after it began in 2008 and I have truly loved baking nearly everything in BFMHTY. I still have a few rewinds and catch-ups to do. (November and December have been tough with a heavy workload and an ailing dog, so I have been somewhat distracted in the 'fun' department.) It will be difficult to put this cookbook back on the shelf, so most likely it will retain its place on the kitchen counter and continue to be my muse.

With 2011 nearly a memory and 2012 looming ahead, I'm looking forward to baking again, especially with the new group and the new book, Baking with Julia.

Thanks to Laurie for having the great idea to share her baking experiences and let others join in.

Thanks to Julie for keeping TWD up and running.

And, many thanks to Dorie for her baking expertise and friendliness.

It's been a great run! I look forward to playing with both TWDers and newcomers in 2012.




The cookie recipe can be found on Dorie's website.

19 comments:

Hindy said...

Lovely post! See you in the New Year for another baking adventure!

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

your cookies look delicious! It has been fun baking with you over the last few years and I am looking forward to February!

Kayte said...

Your cookies look really wonderful (and I love that plate), interesting about the almond meal, sounds good. So sorry about the doggie, I hope it is something that is getting better every day. So happy to hear you are moving on with the new book...see you there!

slush said...

I have so loved getting to know you through your weekly posts. Thank you for being such a faithful member. Its been such a fun journey and I am so very glad that you will be joining us for round 2. Its going to be a blast! xo

Tia said...

looking good! great lighting

Jennifer said...

Gorgeous thumbprints! TWD has been a blast!

TeaLady said...

It has been fun, hasn't it?

Hope your dear doggie is better.

Cindy said...

BFMHTY has a permanent place on my kitchen counter. It is my go to book for all things delicious. TWD has been a great baking/blogging group, thank you.
Have a Happy New Year!

Cakelaw said...

It's been great baking with you Judy. TWD has been lots of fun. Your thumbprints turned out great. Happy new year!

natalia said...

Ciao Judy, I loved reading about you and hbaking with you, I hope to be doing this on and on ! Baci and Happy New Year !!

Peggy said...

It has been great baking with you. Thank you for all your comments and encouragement along the way. Your cookies look awesome. Looking forward to 2012. Happy New Year.

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Great to become TWD friends, Judy! So looking forward to baking with you through BWJ! :) All the best in 2012!

Jacque said...

It didn't seem that long ago that it seemed we'd never be done. And then boom! here we are. It's been good getting to know you through TWD. Your cookies look delish :)

mike509 said...

Beautiful thumbprints! We just got our first TJ's here! I must look for the almond meal - what a great idea! Glad you enjoyed the TWD bake-a-long... what a wonderful ride!

Peabody said...

Sad that it comes to an end.

spike. said...

I have a few reminds to do myself! It has been a great experience, hasn't it?!

Unknown said...

What a lovely post to go along with your very nice-looking cookies. I look forward to baking more with you and Julia in the new year.

Peggy the Baker said...

Wonderful cookies! I've been baking with TWD just two years so I'm also doing a lot of catch up. Hope to finish the last 21 recipes and looking forward to BWJ. Happy baking in 2012.

Anne said...

It's been so great reading about peoples reactions and memories of TWD. I can't believe the book is finished but look forward to seeing more from your kitchen!