Sunday, January 31, 2010

Daring Bakers: Ready for the Winter Olympics?


A slight delay in baking and posting this time, due to travel and illness, but I did make it before the end of the month!

First, the housekeeping:

The January 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Lauren of Celiac Teen. Lauren chose Gluten-Free Graham Wafers and Nanaimo Bars as the challenge for the month. The sources she based her recipe on are 101 Cookbooks and www.nanaimo.ca.




The first step in this challenge was to make graham crackers, gluten-free if possible, or regular flour as an alternative. Because of time issues, I chose to make regular graham crackers. They were easy and fun to make, and I can personally attest that the raw dough is delicious. (Scraps? What scraps?) Some of the crackers were pulverized to became part of step two, Nanaimo Bars, in honor of the Vancouver Winter Olympics, now just days away. : )


When I realized that the Nanaimo Bars were no-bake cookies (and it took several recipe readings to understand this concept for some reason), then I forged ahead last evening while dinner was cooking.

Impatient family members could barely wait until the cookies had chilled sufficiently.



Then, I had to wait until morning's light to get some moderately decent photos.


We really liked these bar cookies, and, while some bakers declared they were too sweet, I found that using unsweetened coconut toned down the sweetness considerably. My favorite part is the vanilla cream layer.


Now I can cross off Nanaimo Bars from my Life Dessert List.

Stop by the Daring Kitchen to see the many imaginative renditions of these delicious bar cookies.

1 comment:

Heather B said...

Great job on your bars! They look delicious!