Tuesday, May 5, 2009

TWD: Tiramisu Cake



This week, the Tuesdays with Dorie challenge is brought to us by my friend, Megan. I'd been wondering when her turn would be, and just like that, there was her choice: a delicious Tiramisu Cake.


I had to plan this one carefully, since this past weekend was my 3-days-in-a-row work weekend. Not my favorite. So, I made the cake on Friday and finished it Sunday evening so it would have time to cure for Monday night's photo shoot and tasting.


Even though I have a bottle of Kahlua in the cupboard, it is unopened, so I chose to use my coffee-flavored tequila, which is opened. I picked it up in Mexico several years ago while on a cruise along the western coast. My daughter and I did a Tequila Tour at one of the ports, and I came back with a variety of flavored tequilas, which are useful for cooking as well as sipping.


The cake assembled nicely, although I could have been more liberal with the syrup on the first layer.



The frosting wasn't as smooth as I would have liked, either, but Sunday was a warm day, so the mascarpone was very soft and I accidentally poured in twice the amount of alcoholic beverage. You'd never know by tasting, though, but I suspect that's why I had lumpy icing.


So, thanks, Megan. Great choice! Be sure and look at all the clever TWD bakers' blogs for their take on Tiramisu Cake.

15 comments:

Megan said...

A tequila tour? Sounds like my kind of afternoon! And I've never heard to coffee flavored tequila. Sometimes I think I must live under a rock - I'm so out of the loop!

Nichicakes said...

"accidentally" poured in double the alcohol...sure :P
Coffee Tequila! Who knew! It looks beautiful and yummy.

Madam Chow said...

Yes, I see, an accident. That's your story and you're sticking to it! ;)

chocolatechic said...

Looks beautiful.

Pamela said...

Hmmm...I've never heard of flavored tequilas. Interesting! Looks great, though.

~Kimberly said...

Your cake looks gorgeous! Great job!

Teanna said...

Nothing wrong with adding too much alcohol! The cake looks great!

Anonymous said...

Your cake looks gorgeous. YUM!

Anonymous said...

Wow, coffee tequila! Your cake looks fantastic!

The Food Librarian said...

Mother and daughter bonding on the tequila tour!! Love it! Your cake looks wonderful.

Unknown said...

Coffee-flavored tequila?? Sounds yummy! Your cake looks wonderful!

Kayte said...

Perfect...and you did this all on a weekend when you worked??? Kudos to you. Fabulous looking cake, both inside and out!

NKP said...

Coffee flavoured tequila! Who knew?
The cake looks wonderful, so tall and proud and delicious.

TeaLady said...

Chocolate flavored Tequila???? Wow!!! How opportune for this recipe. It looks wonderful.

Engineer Baker said...

Yay to coffee, *shudder* to tequila :P Your cake looks fabulous!