Tuesday, March 10, 2009

TWD: Love those custards



Perhaps it's my perverse nature, but contrary to the majority of TWD bakers this week, I LOVED the lemon cup custard. And the cinnamon-coffee cup custard.

This week's choice was courtesy of Bridget of
The Way the Cookie Crumbles.

I've been a fan of custards my whole life, although I wouldn't be able to explain why. I like old-fashioned custard, flan, crème brûlée, anything that is egg-based. Frankly, I just love eggs. I have had them prepared many ways: scrambled, fried, hard boiled, soft boiled, poached, and baked; covered with béchamel, salsa, or a wine reduction sauce (that was in France); made into omelets with a variety of fillings. I have served them for dinner many ways as well.

One of my favorite restaurants in town is called Eggs-N-Things. I bet you can tell what they serve. I eat there on a regular basis, and always take my visiting, out-of-town friends there. I was really looking forward to this week, and I wasn't disappointed.


I chose to make only half a recipe each time, not because I thought I wouldn't like it, but because I wanted to make more flavors. I made the lemon first, using lemon oil to brighten the flavor, and it was very nice indeed.



Then I made the cinnamon-coffee version, adding the powdered coffee to the milk while the cinnamon stick was steeping. I sacrificed my last bowl to my daughter, who had just returned from a weekend knitting retreat in Mission Viejo. In all good conscience, I just couldn't keep it all to myself, now, could I?



I don't know how many TWD bakers will be posting about custard this week, but it's worth checking them out for some interesting comments, at the very least.

16 comments:

chocolatechic said...

So which one did you like the best?

Anonymous said...

I think it's great that you loved this. My mom loves all things custard and she loved this as well. Different strokes...

Megan said...

I really wish I had tried the cinnamon espresso version. And maybe if I hadn't overcooked them it would have turned out better. Oh well!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Very generous of you to share. Now you can make more and be guilt free :0)

Anonymous said...

How cool that you made two flavors and that you loved both of them. I love custard too.

Anonymous said...

I loved these too! I'm so glad you tried two versions!

Ivette said...

So glad you liked this dessert.. not many ppl did but I did. I made a vanilla-cinnamon version and it came out great. Good job!

Heather B said...

Great job! Your custard looks fabulous!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy someone loved this recipe! I wanted to love it, really, I did. It was so easy, and they looked so pretty and creamy and beautiful...I really really wanted to love them. Maybe next week...LOL! Yours look fabulous and I love the flavor combinations you chose.

Pamela said...

I chickened out on this one, but it sounds like it was a hit with you and your family. Yeah!

The Food Librarian said...

Yeah!! Someone who loved it!! :) Yours looks great!

NKP said...

So glad you were a fan of the custards!
I love the sound of the cinnamon espresso flavoured one, I think I would like that for breakfast.

Leslie said...

I'm so glad you loved these! They look wonderful.

Anonymous said...

You are a woman after my own heart. I LOVED this recipe.

Jacque said...

I liked it too... I guess custard is a love, hate thing.

The cinnamon version looks delish as well!

Engineer Baker said...

I absolutely loved the coffee variation, so I'm glad you tried and liked both. Although it sounds like you were expecting to like them both anyways :) They look wonderful, as usual!